I finally got around to making zucchini noodles last week and I wanted just the right thing to go with them. I’ve been eagerly awaiting the Beyond Meat “meatballs”, but I haven’t seen them in stores yet. I did come across these while I was checking for them.
Product: Carla Lee’s Nut Balls
Overall Grade: B+ I really enjoyed them. If I were the only consideration, I probably would give them an A. I knocked it down just a little bit in consideration of our readers who aren’t gluten/soy free like I am.
- Flavor is savory, but not overpowering to other items on the plate
- I can pronounce all the ingredients and regularly have them in my kitchen.
- Gets a nice little crisp on the outside
- Fewer than 10 minutes from freezer to plate
- They don’t really require quite as much oil as the directions say. But do be sure to continue to turn them and not just let them sit on one side for too long. They’re more likely to stick.
- A little spendy. But then I realize that I’m getting 3 servings and they’re natural ingredients and that helps balance this out. (plus, Carla Lee’s website says they give 50% of the net proceeds to feed humanity)
- The name is a bit misleading. They’re called nut balls, but the first listed ingredient is brown rice.
- Even though they get a nice crisp on the outside, they’re a little soft. I foresee this being more of a problem for those of you who eat gluten / soy products.