Last year for MoFo you might remember that we posted about The Vegg’s egg scramble product. Since then they have come up with an updated version of that product called “Not Your Parents’ Tofu Scramble”. The creator of The Vegg contacted us to ask us to provide a review the microwave version of the “Not Your Parents’ Tofu Scramble”.* I loved the old product, but it had complicated directions and it is no longer on the market. The title of the new product is a little confusing. It is an “egg” scramble. It is not a tofu scramble where you use a block of tofu. Confusion of the name aside, this product seems to imitate scrambled eggs quite well. As you can see by the pictures, it looks like scrambled eggs. The directions were very simple. Mix with water, place on a plate, microwave, push curds around, and then microwave more. You might remember that Follow Your Heart has a vegan egg scramble out as well that we reviewed during Day 1 of MoFo 2016. I am a huge fan of The Vegg because they were the first company to come out with a vegan egg yolk that has a wonderful taste and is easy to use.
Product: Not Your Parents Tofu Scramble by The Vegg (Microwave Version)
Overall Grade: A
- This product has 22g of protein per serving. Move over eggs from a chicken’s butt, this is some serious proteinage!
- The product has 15% of your daily needs of iron and 20% of your daily needs of B12. The Vegg really took an opportunity to make this product more nutritional than the Follow Your Heart vegan egg.
- There is NO cholesterol!!
- The instructions are easy. No stove necessary, just a microwave.
- The product is able to be made on the stove or in the microwave. Options are good.
- The products is certified Kosher.
- I don’t have to add any vegan milks to make this product high in protein. I’ll mention it again…….22 g of protein
- The product easily makes curds that have a feel just like an egg in your mouth and look like scrambled eggs on your plate. Texture and look of this product is spot on.
- It is gluten free! It is made in a facility with wheat though.
- This product is toddler approved! My son loved it.
- This made us feel like we were eating a plate of scrambled eggs. I’ve often missed that as a vegan and am glad to have this back in my life. I like being able to whip up some vegan eggs on a weekend. And since this is so easy, I can do it during the week too!
- Currently the 5 oz version is sold on The Vegg’s website for $9.59 (plus shipping and tax). This product is not cheap. A carton of eggs is much cheaper.
- The current products are mostly available online only. This isn’t for lack of trying on the part of The Vegg. I’d love to see this product on store shelves some day.
- Without adding black salt, pepper, and other seasonings this product is quite bland. It didn’t have that much of an egg taste. I was able to easily remedy this with seasonings.
- This product contains soy, which would be a con for people who need to avoid soy.
- This product isn’t as versatile as it’s competitor at Follow Your Heart. It can only do scrambled eggs. It doesn’t seem to be able to be used for an omelette or quiche. The good news is that I think there are plans on the horizon for a product that makes an omelette. We hope to review that product when available.
*We are willing to review any vegan product in exchange for an honest review from a member from our review team.