Sharp cheddar has always been my favorite flavor of cheese, vegan or not. There is something about the tang of the cheddar that keeps me coming back dipping for more. Miyokos line of Roadhouse spreads have been a welcomed addition. The Cheers to Cheddah is smooth, creamy, spreadable, and delicious. Portion control has been a serious concern with this flavor. Pretzels have been my favorite vessel for this flavor. No surprise that in the absence of pretzels, straight off the spoon has also worked.
Product: Miyoko’s Vegan Roadhouse Cheese Spread, Cheers to Cheddah
- It has a rich, cheesy, and cheddar flavor.
- Miyoko’s products are all vegan and that means that they are also cholesterol free.
- They are also non-GMO, gluten free, and soy free.
- The product is versatile, it can be used as a spread, dip, or mixed into a sauce. The possibilities stretch as far as your imagination.
- Miyoko’s products are becoming more widely available in more “health” food stores like Whole Foods, Sprouts, Earth Fare, and the like.
- The product is cultured and it gives it a cheesy taste that non-cultured products seem to lack.
- It has a relatively short ingredient list with items that are pronounceable and that I am familiar and comfortable with consuming.
- It’s likely that you will not be surprised by this con- price. The product is sold in 8 oz portions and I have only seen it for over $6 or $7. This product is cultured and therefore takes more time and resources to make, but it is still too expensive to be a staple in my home.
- It is 10g a fat for a 1 oz serving. That is a lot of fat for a small amount of food.
- It does not contain any calcium. I do not take issue with this, but those looking to switch to a vegan lifestyle might be looking for cheese substitutes to contain calcium.
It is almost Halloween and that means C-A-N-D-Y! Even vegans need candy. Each year I search for vegan candy that will allow my son to participate in the fun of Halloween. This often includes a purchase from No Whey Chocolate. They sell candy online and in select retailers across the country. Their products are vegan and free of most common allergens. This year, I was excited to see the new Fear Not Candy bags. I ordered one for us, along with a few other treats. This bag did not disappoint.
Product: Fear Not- Spook Free Treats by No Whey Chocolate
Overall Grade: A
- Vegan milk chocolate! There are not too many companies that make, or make well, milk chocolate that is vegan.
- They have imitations of Reeses, Snickers, and Hershey’s without the cruelty. It has been a decade since I have had any of these brand names, but I think this chocolate tastes better! And I don’t feel any guilt.
- They taste delicious! I felt like I was a kid again tasting these with my son.
- They are vegan, gluten free, tree nut free, soy free, and peanut free. They are also Kosher.
- They are small and individually wrapped like other popular candies.
- This company does a good job creating candy for each season. Halloween, Easter, Christmas, etc. They are a regular stop for me before any major holiday.
- I can only find these online making them less environmentally friendly.
- They are $8.95 for a pack of 10, which is not bad, but when you calculate the shipping, it is much more. I also had to buy a cold pack as I was concerned that the chocolate would melt.
- They are not ideal to hand out for Halloween as they only come in packs of 10. I wish there was an option for a larger pack.
The kind folks at JustPea contacted us recently and asked if we would review their product.* I personally am not a fan of most protein powders because I don’t like the taste of stevia. When I realized this product did not contain stevia, I was immediately interested in trying it. It is made from a single ingredient (peas) and contains no GMO’s. Overall this product has proven to be a winner in my book.
Product: JustPea Pea Protein Powder
Overall Grade: A
- I didn’t even notice it was in my smoothie. Really. The first time I used it, I only used half a scoop because I was worried it might make my smoothie taste bad. It didn’t. The next time I used it, I used the full scoop and we still didn’t even notice it was in there. It really let the flavors that I put in my smoothies shine.
- There are 20 grams of protein in one scoop. That’s a lot of protein!
- The bag is a large one. There are 30 scoops in a bag. I personally don’t feel the need for 20 grams of protein in my smoothie, so I will continue to use half a scoop to get 10 grams of protein and make it last longer.
- NO STEVIA in this product!!!
- Vegan, gluten-free, and fully sourced in the US.
- It’s priced on par with comparable protein powders.
- The only suggestion I have to possibly improve the product in the future is to make it fully organic. It IS already non-GMO, so that is a great start. If you’re looking for a protein boost for your smoothies that won’t affect the taste, go ahead and give this a try.
*Please note that we are happy to try vegan products for an honest review. If you are interested, please contact us.
It still feels peculiar as a vegan to exclaim “I like cheese!”, but I do! When I learn of a new vegan cheese, or new to me, I jump at the chance to give it a try. On Instagram, I started to see buzzing that So Delicious created a line of vegan shreds. Being a fan of their ice cream treats, I knew I wanted to give these shreds a try. After a couple of months of waiting for them to appear in my local stores, I finally found them at an area Whole Foods and grabbed one of the last two on the shelf. I am now able to get all three flavors regularly in my area.
Product: Mozzarella Flavored Shreds, by So Delicious
Overall Grade: A
- The shreds are gluten free, vegan, soy free and non-gmo verified.
- The shreds melt well. They melted instantly in my microwave testing and quickly in the oven. I have tried them in mac n cheese, nachos, and a sandwich.
- This cheese tastes good out straight of the package. Hold the presses! Yes, you read that right. I have tried the Mozzarella and Cheddar and they taste reminiscent of their dairy counterparts, as is. Watch yourself as you might eat the whole bag before it heads to food!
- They are perfect for pizza! I haven’t yet tried them on pizza, but seeing how they worked on other foods convinced me that I have to buy another bag and make pizza.
- This product would be a great one to share with your dairy eating friends to show them how delicious veganism alternatives can be!
- They have three flavors: Mozzarella, Cheddar, and Cheddar Jack. I hope to try Cheddar Jack soon!
- If you are a reader of the blog, you can probably already anticipate the first con. Price. Like all other vegan brand name cheese options, the bag was pricey. I am pretty sure it was priced the same as Daiya at over $5 a bag! Vegans aren’t made of money!
- An area where I feel that vegan cheese makers are failing is in the nutritional content. Many people who eat dairy cheese do so because it has calcium and protein. Yet very few, if any, of the vegan brands have protein and calcium. This brand has zero for both. While I don’t need to get these from vegan cheeses in my diet, I know this could be a impediment to others switching to vegan cheese.
- It is fattening! It is made from coconut and has 7g of fat per serving. I looked up a brand of dairy mozzarella and it was only 3g of fat per serving.
- It is not available as widely as other vegan brands. I hope it will be soon!
It feels a little strange to write a post about an ice cream treat in November. It has been in the 50’s and 60’s where I live and that is not exactly ice cream weather. I think true ice cream lovers do not care about the temperature to enjoy a cold treat though. A hot beverage afterward or a blanket can help warm up. As the holidays approach your family might enjoy ice cream with dessert and I wanted to share a favorite in my household. We find cashewmilk to be both rich and decadent and double chocolate bars do not disappoint. I tend to only buy them on sale as a treat, but they are a favorite!
Product: Cashewmilk Double Chocolate Delight by So Delicious Dairy Free
Overall Grade: A+
- Delicious!! As I said above, this bar is both rich and decadent with the chocolate coating and chocolate ice cream inside.
- I find So Delicious cashewmilk to be very creamy and similar to what I remember of diary milk ice cream.
- These beauties are easy to find in regular and health food grocery stores near me.
- I trust this brand as I have been buying the products for years. They clearly label allergens and most, if not all, of their products are good gluten free.
- This product is free of dairy, gluten, peanut, and soy.
- They have several delicious flavors. Including one that has vegan caramel!!! That is also a favorite in our home.
- They are pricy, unless on sale. I have generally seen them for $5.99 for a box of 4. That is about $1.50 a bar. These are only a treat for us, not a staple.
- With only 4 in a box, they are expensive to share. With a family of three, only one of us can have two!
October usually has me obsessing over Halloween candy. Some of us have kids and want to provide a vegan alternative and some of us are still kids at heart and want to eat Halloween candy. I fall into both camps. My inner kid misses gummy bears something fierce. As a vegetarian teenager, I felt the loss of them in my life. As a vegan adult, I still feel that loss. There is a void of gummy candy in my life that I am usually looking to fill.
I was recently at Home Goods and I saw Halloween gummy bears by YumEarth. I looked over the package and they seemed vegan. Their website confirms them as being vegan. However, the website indicates that the company only makes the gummy bears vegan at Halloween. I guess they think that vegans and vegetarians only want gummy bears in October? This company doesn’t know us at all!
Product: YumEarth Halloween Gummy Bears
Overall Grade: A
- They come in individual packets to be handed out for Halloween or to consume in small amounts.
- They are delicious! My son had never had a gummy bear and he loved them.
- They are free of the top allergens.
- They are organic.
- They are flavored and colored with fruit juice, instead of chemicals like traditional gummy bears.
- These are gelatin free and therefore, there is no harm to animals. (See the cons, for more information).
- The company makes other delicious candy that is allergen free, such as lollipops and licorice.
- The price was very reasonable at $2.99 for the package of 10.
- They are only available for a few special occasions during the year. The gelatin gummy bears are always available. I do not understand this line of thinking. I think the company is a bit confused about vegans, we don’t just eat candy at Halloween.
- They are hard to find. I have seen other vegan gummy products by them at stores in the area, but I have only seen the gummy bears at Home Goods on ONE occasion. I went back the following week and could not find them.
- There are 10 small packs in a package. There really should be an option for more, especially to hand out to trick-or-treaters.
We were recently contacted by Greenbeat and asked to review a three-in-one veggie burger press and the corresponding eBook.* We can only review and endorse the veggie burger press as the recipe eBook is not vegan.** The product comes with two different size presses, large and small, and wax paper sheets. There is also an attachment that pops off to for an option to make a large stuffed veggie burger.
The veggie burger press arrived quickly and I decided a plan of attack by finding, and changing, a veggie burger recipe that I wanted to make. I also bought Beyond Meat’s Beyond Burger because I was excited to have stuffed veggie burgers with vegan cheese. The Beyond Meat burgers are too greasy to use in the press for small or stuffed burgers. Even with the wax paper, they did not work very well and ended up falling apart. The homemade veggie burger worked well with or without the wax paper. I tried the homemade burger as a large and small patty.
Product: Greenbeat Veggie Burger Press
Overall Grade: A-
- This system allows for easy veggie burger forming, while keeping your hands mostly clean.
- The system is compact. The pieces all fit inside each other, allowing for the system to take up only a small space in a drawer or cabinet.
- Using the press allows for uniform sized, professional looking veggie burgers.
- The product is easy to purchase through Amazon.
- The cost is a little under $16 and should make homemade veggie burgers cheaper than buying packaged ones in the store on a regular basis.
- Helps reduce the consumption of processed veggie burgers. Especially if you use fresh and non-processed ingredients.
- It is a great way to be accountable to yourself by knowing what is in the food you consume.
- Even though we are not reviewing the eBook, we found it to be a con since most of the recipes contain dairy and egg. They can be substituted with vegan items, but the dairy and egg industries are full of torture, pain, and death and we cannot promote that. We hope that the company will consider making more, if not all of its eBook cruelty-free.
- The attachment to make the stuffed veggie burger was very difficult to remove. I had to wash and dry off the press, and make sure my hands were dry, and I still struggled to open it. I only made two stuffed burgers, but making large amounts would have been frustrating.
* We will gladly accept vegan products for an honest review.
** If you purchase the veggie burger press, please note that the recipe eBook that you will get a link for is not vegan. Many of the recipes include dairy and egg and therefore, we do not endorse the eBook. We recommend using your own recipes.
I have been vegan for quite some time, but still enjoy bagels and cream cheese for breakfast. I try not to eat it every day, but I will admit that it makes a regular appearance on the breakfast table. Some mornings I switch it up for oatmeal (or a half of an English Muffin), to be a little healthy. Kite Hill has always been a delicious brand, but it is a bit too expensive to have every week. However, the jalapeño flavor makes me want to buy it weekly. Product: Jalapeño Cream Cheese By Kite Hill
Overall Grade: A
- It is vegan cream cheese!!
- It has a delicious creamy flavor with a hint of spice.
- It is mildly spicy. I would prefer it a bit spicier, but it is good for most taste buds.
- The package lists less than 10 ingredients!
- It is almond based, unlike other popular cream cheese alternatives made of soy.
- It is a cultured cheese product and therefore has a more in-depth flavor. Kite Hill cream cheeses are the closest flavor to dairy cream cheese that I have tried.
- It is gluten free and soy free.
- The cream cheese is quite pricey. I have seen it for about $7 a tub. At this price, it will only make an appearance on my table for special occasions.
- I can only find it in health food stores. I hope to see it in more mainstream grocery stores.
The longer I am vegan, the more I see items popping up to mimic my old nonvegan favorites. It is a great time to be vegan! I am a fan of Hilary’s products and was excited to try this product. It was so thick, that it would not come out of the bottle. I had to take a knife to it to get it out of the bottle. With a skinny neck, it was hard to get to the contents that were down below where my knife could reach. I had to thin the product out with plant based milk. I was conflicted in rating this product. My husband and I did not like it, but my son did. It did not taste like ranch to us, it was very vinegary and the chia taste was detectable. Since 1/3 of my family liked this product, I am giving it the seal of approval with caution.
Product: Hilary’s Ranch Chia Dressing
Overall Grade: B-
- The product is free of corn, dairy, gluten, and soy.
- It is a vegan ranch option!
- This product was available to me in Whole Foods and Kroger.
- My son liked it as a dip!
- It is an organic product.
- It is low in fat and sugar, compared to other ranch dressings.
- The ingredients are all recognizable.
- It is so thick that it does not pour out of the bottle without thinning out.
- It was too thick to be a salad dressing. It was more suitable as a dip.
- The taste was too vinegary for a ranch dressing.
- The product tasted and felt too much like chia seeds. While I love chia seeds, I didn’t like it in this product. The dressing had a strange flavor.
- The bottle was over $4 in stores. It is pricier than most bottles of dressing.
Those who know me well, know that I am a no presents type of gal for holidays. Every holiday, I remind my husband that I do not want anything. He loves to get me gifts, but I generally return them to the store. He usually bugs me for something that he can get me and I usually have the same answer- nothing. Before Mother’s Day, I knew he was itching to get me something so I sent him an email with information about a sale from No Whey. Sure enough, on Mother’s Day I received a big box of truffles. I rationed them to one per day and had a nice sweet treat for several weeks, until the box was gone. I even offered to share with him, but he said they were mine. I gave him one and enjoyed the rest. If he is reading this, I hope he gets from it that I would accept truffles, or any sweet treat, from No Whey for any holiday!
Product: Signature Truffle Collection, No Whey! Foods
Overall Grade: A
- They are made using a vegan milk chocolate and are the closest to dairy milk chocolate that I have had.
- The truffle flavors were fun. My box came with the following: “milk” fudge, coffee, grand marnier, raspberry, and salted caramel truffles.
- The truffles were delicious! I enjoyed getting a box with a variety of flavors. I am not usually a fan of white chocolate, but I liked the grand marnier one that was covered in white chocolate.
- The company is vegan!
- All of the products are 100% Milk Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Gluten Free, Egg Free, Soy Free! Free of the common eight allergens.
- No Artificial Colors and Flavors Free of the common eight allergens!
- The company is Kosher.
- If you sign up for the email list, you are notified of sales and holiday candy.
- They have a great selection of candy for each holiday. This is helpful when trying to find candy for Easter and Halloween.
- The pricing for the truffles seems in line with other high-quality truffles.
- The truffles have to be ordered online. I am able to find one product in a local store (No No’s), but all others need to be ordered online. I have a vegan son and I would like to be able to go out and buy this candy locally for holidays or for an occasional treat.
- While the truffle price seems to be reasonable, some of the other candies are a bit pricy- especially with shipping. I don’t mind this for special occasions, but I really wish vegan candy was not so expensive. I would like to buy this for my family for all holidays.