I was recently contacted by Oma’s Own asking me to try some of their products for an honest review to be posted on our site. I gladly accepted when I learned that their products were both vegan and gluten free. The package arrived with bags of freeze dried fruit chips, vegan soup cubes and FUNoodles. I quickly ripped open a package of the mango chips to give them a taste. They were crispy, sweet, a little tart and a bit salty. I am a huge fan of mango, but I do not like when mango is overly sweet (usually signifying that it is past its prime of ripeness). These chips carried the perfect amount of sweetness for me. The bit of salty was an interesting surprise on a dried fruit. It seems as though the salt brought out the mango flavor and lessened the sweetness. Liking this flavor, I ate the two serving bag (2.0 oz) in one sitting! I wanted to try the remaining bags right away, but decided to wait until another day.
The other two flavors in the package were mango & strawberry and banana & strawberry. Both bags also had the same level of salt and hint of sweetness. I enjoyed the bags as much as I had the first bag. I tried to control myself again with the contents of the two serving bags, but I failed. I ate both on different days and all at once. The plan was to save some for my kiddo to try. I plan to buy more for him to try.
Product: Oma’s Own Fruit Chips. Mango, Mango & Strawberry and Banana & Strawberry.
Overall Grade: A
- The chips have a great flavor. They are sweet, salty, tart, and crisp.
- They pack a nice crunch. It is like eating a fruity potato chip.
- They have only a few ingredients. All things that are familiar. Fruit, non-gmo oil, and sea salt.
- I enjoy the combinations of the bag flavors. I cannot decide which one was my favorite, but I am usually partial to mango.
- The packaging is bright and fun. Every time I saw them in my pantry, I wanted to grab for them.
- The products are easily available Amazon.com.
- Even though my son did not get a chance to try the chips, I know this is something that he would like. I would feel good about giving it to him as a snack.
- They are free of gluten and seem to be free of many other allergens because of the simple ingredients.
- The bag is only 2 ounces. It felt like a lot of waste considering I ate the whole bag in one serving.
- The bag is indicated as 2 servings, but it feels more like one.
- This is not a low calorie snack. It has 120 calories and 4g of fat and contains rice bran oil.