Recently, we were contacted by the owner of Love Bar to ask us to provide an honest review of their bars.* I was excited about this review as I have enjoyed their bars for years. I eagerly said yes! They sent me one of each of the flavors to try. I am a creature of habit and have usually purchased the same two flavors, so this was a real treat to get to try the third flavor. They quickly arrived and I got to work sampling. The kiddo tried them as well and was also a huge fan. I will remember this for when we are out and need a quick and healthy snack.
Product: Love Bar- Ginger Spice, Cashew Brownie, and Goji Cocao
Overall Grade: A
- The bars are absolutely delicious! I cannot even pick a favorite between the three. They managed to use the tastiest combination of ingredients in each bar. I am a sucker for brownies, ginger, and goji berries!
- Each bar only has a handful of ingredients that work well together and are common ingredients. You won’t find anything processed or fake in these bars. They are real food. They do not contain any processed fillers or additives.
- Their nutritional content is important to me. It offers protein, fiber, healthy fat, and iron.
- They are certified vegan and gluten free!
- They are organic!
- They are made in North Carolina. I live in NC, so I can feel confident in supporting a local, vegan business.
- I can easily find these bars locally. Do not worry if you are not located in North Carolina, you can check out their store locator and online shop.
- They have free shipping, if you buy online. That is a great deal!
- They are about $3.49 a bar, online. That is a bit on the pricey side, but they are worth it because of the pure, unprocessed ingredients.
*Please note that we are happy to try vegan products for an honest review. If you are interested, please contact us.
Today we bring to you a review of a product that won’t even be fully launched until sometime next year. But, Planet Protein was kind enough to offer us a bar each of their two flavors in exchange for an honest review. You can purchase them in pre-launch from the Planet Protein Facebook Page.
The texture reminded me a lot of the old school Power Bars: chewy, a little gritty/chalky. I don’t mean that in a bad way. I really liked the texture of Power Bars and have missed them. So, if you’ve been missing them too, here’s your vegan replacement!
Product: Planet Protein Plant Power Bar (Cherry Almond Fudge / Cocoa PB Crunch)
Overall Grade: A- (cherry) / A (peanut butter)
- 20g of plant based protein
- Chewy, lightly gritty – a la the old Power Bars
- Non GMO
- Gluten and soy free
- No sugar alcohols, added flavors, no preservatives
- No stevia so no funky aftertaste like some vegan bars
- Cherry & Peanut Butter varieties? Yes, please. They’re both lightly sweet. You wouldn’t confuse them with candy, but that’s not what Planet Protein sets out to be.
- They’re a little spendy. From what I can tell MSRP is $3.50 per bar when purchased individually. But, that’s the tradeoff for supporting small business and healthful products so I didn’t ding it in the grade for this.
- The cherry got an A- instead of an A because I’d like just a little more cherry flavor. The texture was also just a tiny bit harder than the PB which I thought was perfect.
- I can’t go pick one up on my lunch break tomorrow 😉
I have fond memories as a kid sitting in front of campfires eating s’mores as a girlscout, even despite the threat of bugs. Yeah, I’m terrified of bugs. Eating s’mores helped me not think about bugs. I was the kid who put blankets down on logs. Why? Because logs hide bugs. Moving on….I still dream of s’mores. I recently found the Gramwich made by Van’s. It’s not exactly like a s’more as there is no marshmallow, but the chocolate is gooey in the center so I’ll consider it a contender.
Product: Gramwich Snack Bar by Van’s
Overall Grade: B+. I probably would give this item an A if I wasn’t thinking of s’mores when I first tried the bar. The graham part was soft and chewy and the chocolate center was gooey. It is really delicious, but please don’t expect it to taste like a s’more because it is different. I’ve enjoyed throwing these in my bag for a snack.
- They are individually wrapped so you are not tempted to eat more than one.
- The chocolate in the center is delicious. It is in a melted state and is what I want on the taste of a graham-like cookie.
- The cookie part of the gramwich isn’t like a graham cracker, but has a nice grainy and soft texture. Don’t expect a crunch.
- it is exciting that there is a graham-like cookie with chocolate on the market that is vegan (and gluten free!).
- The bars are small, only a couple of inches long. While delicious, they are not filling. I recommend this for a very light snack.
- There are only five bars per box. I sort of expect six bars per box.
- They aren’t like a s’more. They are missing a vegan marshmallow and a crunchy cookie….oh and a campfire.