October usually has me obsessing over Halloween candy. Some of us have kids and want to provide a vegan alternative and some of us are still kids at heart and want to eat Halloween candy. I fall into both camps. My inner kid misses gummy bears something fierce. As a vegetarian teenager, I felt the loss of them in my life. As a vegan adult, I still feel that loss. There is a void of gummy candy in my life that I am usually looking to fill.
I was recently at Home Goods and I saw Halloween gummy bears by YumEarth. I looked over the package and they seemed vegan. Their website confirms them as being vegan. However, the website indicates that the company only makes the gummy bears vegan at Halloween. I guess they think that vegans and vegetarians only want gummy bears in October? This company doesn’t know us at all!
Product: YumEarth Halloween Gummy Bears
Overall Grade: A
- They come in individual packets to be handed out for Halloween or to consume in small amounts.
- They are delicious! My son had never had a gummy bear and he loved them.
- They are free of the top allergens.
- They are organic.
- They are flavored and colored with fruit juice, instead of chemicals like traditional gummy bears.
- These are gelatin free and therefore, there is no harm to animals. (See the cons, for more information).
- The company makes other delicious candy that is allergen free, such as lollipops and licorice.
- The price was very reasonable at $2.99 for the package of 10.
- They are only available for a few special occasions during the year. The gelatin gummy bears are always available. I do not understand this line of thinking. I think the company is a bit confused about vegans, we don’t just eat candy at Halloween.
- They are hard to find. I have seen other vegan gummy products by them at stores in the area, but I have only seen the gummy bears at Home Goods on ONE occasion. I went back the following week and could not find them.
- There are 10 small packs in a package. There really should be an option for more, especially to hand out to trick-or-treaters.