We took a little hiatus from writing reviews. During that time, we sampled a lot of products! We have quite a few products that we would like to share with you, so stay tuned!
When I think of Italian food, I remember back to my childhood and the shaker of fresh grated Parmesan that sat on the table for every meal. My mom and grandma used to grate it in the food processor and put it out at almost every meal. It was like ketchup, we put it on everything. Since going vegan, I have been on the search for a vegan grated Parmesan that tastes like the dairy version from my childhood. The product from Go Veggie, is not this product. I was sorely disappointed. We believe in honest reviews here, so I am not holding back in my critique of this product.
Product: Go Veggie Grated Parmesan Style Topping
Overall Grade: D
- It is a vegan cheese product.
- Unlike other vegan cheese products, this has protein and calcium. While most vegans know we don’t need the extra protein and calcium, having them in products helps win over omnivores.
- This product tastes gross! I could barely stomach the taste. It doesn’t come close to the fresh Parmesan taste or from what I remember from the store bought shaker container.
- This product smelled like rotten feet. One sniff made me gag. I had to plug my nose when I sprinkled it on my food. This product is getting a D for this con alone. Food should not make me gag by the smell.
- This is not something I’d keep at my table or serve to anyone. No one in my family liked it.
Unlike Amanda, I am not Italian. I’m the youngest of 5 children with my earliest memories in the suburbs of Baltimore, born to parents who grew up and met in Baltimore City. Then my dad went on to school and then on to be the preacher at a little country church in eastern North Carolina. We were not shredded Parmesan people. We were spaghetti sauce from a jar, grated Parmesan from a can people. I’m also a little older than Amanda and when I was little the can was cardboard rather than plastic. I was probably an adult before I realized that’s not the only kind of Parm there was. Truth be known, I loved the stuff. I frequently snuck to the fridge and just emptied some out in my hand to eat. While Follow Your Heart has the shredded Parmesan people covered (read Amanda’s review here), they didn’t forget about the rest of us.
I’m just going to say it straight up: I loved this stuff! I even caught myself going to the refrigerator to get some in my hand once… or twice… or let’s just say I lost count. Since I found it on vacation, I even got one right before I left town to sneak in my suitcase.
Product: Follow Your Heart Grated Parmesan
Overall Grade: A+
- FYH nailed the flavor of the original stuff in the green can (at least as close as I can remember…it’s been a while)
- Like the shredded, it’s in line with other vegan cheese prices
- It’s not powdery like the original. At first I thought that was going to put me off. It didn’t. I actually liked the texture a little better than the original
- It was even good alone.
I have one con:
- I can’t find it where I live yet. I am eagerly on the lookout. I’m almost to the point of begging FYH to ship me some to hold me over.
BTW, I really liked the shredded kind too.
I was raised in an Italian family and one thing that was always available was Parmesan cheese. Not that kind that came in the green plastic jar, but the kind that came from the deli that my mom (or grandmother) shredded or ground to put into a glass shaker. At every meal someone said “did you put the parm on the table?” When I went vegan, I would sometimes longingly look at the cheese and remember it’s tangy taste and salty flavor. Since then I have tasted some sprinkle jar vegan kinds and had not been all that impressed. I was so excited when I saw this product at our local co-op as I had been waiting to give it a try. As soon as I got home, I ripped open the package and threw a pinch in my mouth. It’s been about 7 or 8 years since I’ve had fresh grated parm, but this made me do a double-take thinking I was eating the dairy version. The taste seemed to be spot on. A little nutty, salty, and tangy.
Product: Shredded Parmesan by Follow Your Heart
Overall Grade: A
- It isn’t easy to find here. I’ve only been able to find it at our local co-op. It isn’t at my Whole Foods yet.
- It is a little on the salty side. So is dairy Parmesan, but I was kind of hoping the vegan version would be a little less salty.